Saturday, March 28, 2015

Blogging about Books - Anita Birt

I did not spell Neil Gaiman's name incorrectly in my last blo. I spelled it "Gaman." Wrong, it should be Gaiman. Do rush  out and buy  "The Grave Yard," book it is a great read for old and young.

And I am very old! Ninety-two years old and I really enjoy Gaiman's books. Reading is such a wonderful pastime, I learn a lot  and lost myself in a well told story.  I am reading slowly, "From The Beast To The Blonde," by Marina Warner. The first story tellers were woman getting about their regular tasks, doing the laundery by the river, chatting with other women while spinning, attending a birthing. Women were out from under their husband's eyes and learned a lot from each other about life, sex, giving birth, illnesses and how to deal with an abusive husband.

Spinning tales, gave us "Cinderella," "Bluebeard."  "Red Riding Hood," "Mother Goose stories."

However, I want to blog about getting old, what it feels likes, how to cope with an aging body and brain, grieving the loss of a loved one. I speng a week in the hospital in February. In my entire life I had never been a hospital patient. Iwent in with a high temperature. Bless the doctor who examined me in the Emergency
Department. "I'm not ending a ninety-two year old woman home without a thorough diagnosis."

That's how I became a patient in the Royal Victoria Hospital. Before this shocking event in my life I walked five or six days a week. I had strong legs now I couldn't stand. I wobbled. Time cures most ailments and I soon staggered around using a walker. Recovering is slow, I'm not the woman I used to be. I listern to my body and walk until I tire and turn back. I am blessed with a loving family. More about getting old on my next blog!

Anita Birt

No comments: