Friday, June 27, 2014

ANITA BIRT - GROWING OLD GRACEFULLY

I've changed the title of my blog hoping to catch one or two interested people interested in the topic of aging. How is doing it well and who are giving in. I saw a big particle in the newspaper about the death of a woman, aged 95, who was a champion senior athlete well into her eighties. Good for her. She's an inspiration. I'd like to be inspired to go out running or leaping fences or lifting weights but the thought of getting up and hitting the bricks is not what I really want to do.

I love walking as fast as I can for a kilometre or a little less. I walk on a path over looking over the sea. I've had curtail my walking because of a flare up of something on the top of my left foot. Could be arthritis. It's getting better and I'm getting out and about.

It's Canada Day week-end, also known as the July first week-end. We have a little ceremony here when the old flag is lowered and carefully carried away while the new one is raised up the flag pole. There a several residents here at Somerset House who served in W.W. II in the Royal Canadian Navy, The Royal Canadian Air Force, The Canadian Merchant Fleet and served with various Canadian regiments.

I didn't serve but came close to being tossed into the north Atlantic when a German submarine launched a powerful torpedo at a large ship in the convoy and blew it to pieces. I felt it but didn't see the aftermath. The captain of the Ariguani wouldn't allow us out on deck. We felt the second explosion when the ship designated as the hospital ship came to rescue survivors from the Empire Heritage and was torpedoed.

With the horror stories erupting around the world with militants joyfully killing their enemies, actually kindred spirits of the own religion, a different branch, I'm glad to live in Canada.

We can GROW OLD GRACEFULLY without being shot at or having a bomb chucked over our grey heads.

CELEBRATE the July first week-end. There's a new moon tonight.

Anita
www.anitabirt.com

No comments: